Friday, July 27, 2007

The Contemporary Art Museum of Boston

Bravo on the Art Museum!!
What a wonderful evening…..AND a must do again!
I hope you were all inspired!

I know I was, from the very start with Target’s red-and-white themed display of candies and drinks. Notice how they worked the red color with the textures of the glass containers, echoing the Target spiral which united and strengthened their own logo design? And this was just the arrangement of the tables in the Lobby!! The band outside, I’m not sure is a staple Thursday-Night-Affair…however, they were great atmosphere.

Then, the museum: Some of my personal favorites were: The Hunt, the German artist using bow and arrow to ‘hunt’ down his food..in the grocery store. Of course, The Spider, the sculptures from the glass vases/containers in the mirrored infinity frame to the spun gold wedding rings and the wish list. Did you read the wish list? Extremely poignant. And then, there were the photographs of the Gravity-Defying-Pole Dancers…..and hookers.

By the way, did anyone wander into the room, where just a swash of light was being projected onto the floor? The light changed color, slightly. If you saw it, I was wondering your impressions? Is this art? And more importantly, why? Or why is a 3 ft. cube of straight pins considered art?

I loved the inclined room of computers looking out into the reflective Harbor waters. I would like to return just to ‘play’ with those computers and see what they have to offer.
Not to mention the gift store….did you have a chance to check out the gems and jewels there?

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll all want to return soon. [Especially since now, we all know where we are going]. If you haven’t already, sign up for the Institute of Contemporary Art’s e-newsletter and they will email you updates of events they regularly have. Including music, drama, art, etc. Great stuff!!

Anyway, I hope the things you saw at the art museum and your experience stay with you for a while, inspire you onto new directions in your designs…..keep adding thoughts, impressions, words, sketches to your workbook/sketchbook. Even start jotting down design ideas.

We can chat more about this next week. Enjoy your weekend and if it gets rainy outside, sit down by your computer or with your pencil and sketchbook…. And do some art-museum-inspired-designing.

Check our blog and see if you can make a comment on the art museum.
To create a comment:
Click upon the ‘comment’ link you’ll see it listed below the end of this entry.
Write up your comment in the box provided.
You will have to sign in, by following the log-in instructions found just below the Comment Box. Use a email address and KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOU USE AS YOUR LOG-IN NAME & PASSWORD….so you have it again.
You’ll be prompted to ‘View the Blog’ and
That’s is….then to read what people have commented upon, just click the comment and you’ll see the list of what folks have written.

We can review this on Tuesday.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I also loved the one artist who hung the wooden remains of charded wood, post-fire. Did you note how the artist used the grid to hang the wood....?

Joan said...

Hi all....it was a wonderful visit.

I spent a fair amount of time in the room with the square of light projected on the floor. If one patiently waits and watches, you are rewarded--the color slowly and subtly changes, and eventually a myriad of silohuettes float through the rectangle of light. Telephone poles and streetlamps are surrounded by strangely evocative bio-morphic shapes, some looking like giant sperm! Eventually, silohuettes of people falling from the sky flash past. It was mesmerizing, but most folks, I noted, didn't get to see all of the fun!

My favorite was the Czech artist's infinitely mirrored glass bottles. Gorgeous and exquisitely, other-worldly beautiful. My perception changed as I immersed myself in it. First it looked like a medieval European village in moonlight, then a crazy inter-planetary community, then rows of robotic peoples marching in step. I could have stared at that all night long, truly.

Jen and I went and had seafood at the "No Name Restaurant" afterwards, which was a really fun way to top off the evening. I think we should incorporate more field trips into our classes!

Joan

Mary said...

I agree we should incorporate more field trips into our class. What about something this coming week? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
Let's discuss them soon, so arrangements can be made.

As for the room with the square light projected onto the floor. I didn't allow enough time to see all the shapes come across the screen. I will note this for my next visit.

And I too loved the mirrored glass bottle installation. Wonderful! As I stood in front of that, the second time, two visitors approached the piece and ooohhhed and aaawwwed with such emotion.

I wonder how the artist made those pieces?